Tabs

March 12, 2012

Eliminating Television: The prologue.

I haven't written in my blog for awhile. This makes sense, considering that the class this was originally intended for concluded more than a year ago. However, since I have already acquired the domain name, I might as well use it for something practical or enlightening.

So for a present purpose, I'll use my blog to document my process of eliminating TV from my life. I'm starting out small, going with just a week at first. For this week, starting tomorrow, (March 12-March 19) I will cease all television watching. I am not only referring to watching TV itself, but all television programming. This is because my main source of television watching actually comes from web-based hosts, such as Hulu. This is because I don't actually own a TV. However, I cannot make an exception for this medium, because it's more about TV shows than TV itself.

My one exception is for educational programming, such as documentary TV shows. This doesn't mean that I'm going to be watching Ice Road Truckers or The Deadliest Catch or some show about pawn shops. I'm making an exception for any TV program that is posted online for free because of its educational merit. I am also not including educational films.

I will try to update my progress as frequently as I can without devoting too much time to using my computer. I will provide details as to what I'm doing in place of watching television.

I am hoping that by doing this I can expose how deceivingly difficult it is to eliminate the habit of watching TV and provide an example for others to follow who wish to rid their lives of the addictive habit as well. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. We got rid of cable to save money a few weeks ago. With that, I haven't watched much TV at all. I have found my house stays cleaner, I have been exercising more and getting more fun projects done. Enjoy your TV-less life!!

    ReplyDelete